Due to the global concern surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, many activity modifications are unfortunately now necessitated by cavers. The most recent guidance by the National Speleological Society president recommends “physical grotto meetings as well as regional events be canceled for the foreseeable future and everyone to practice social distancing… Regarding caving during the pandemic. Please exercise caution related to social distancing and also special care related to taking risk. Remember, that cave lead will still be there in a few months. A cave accident may be difficult to respond to because of limited resources. Be careful out there.”
The Southern Arizona Grotto as well as our physical meeting location host, Summit Hut, will be following all local, state, and federal mandates in addition to following CDC guidelines. In such, we have suspended all in-person grotto meetings, grotto trips or other caving events until further notice. Instead, Southern Arizona Grotto board members are working behind the scenes to continue offering our regular meetings and other content and discussion to members and guests in a virtual space. General grotto meetings will still be held at our usual date and time using the Zoom client with the option for members to call in by phone even without a computer or smartphone. Members will receive more instructions by email. Guests, please check back here or our Facebook soon. If you have comments or suggestions for the board, feel free to contact us.
Prior to the novel coronavirus, monthly recurring events included:
- First Thursday each month – Monthly Grotto Meeting – Summit Hut on Speedway (currently closed) at 6:30 pm.
- Monday Evenings @ Tumamoc Hill (currently closed) – leaves trailhead at 6:30 pm – weekly conditioning and conversation
- Second Thursday KNOT-NIGHT – now via Zoom! Contact Bee if you need to borrow rope to participate. (P.S. At last check, Summit Hut is still taking online orders for curbside pick-up)
- Saturday after the second Friday each month – Vertical training with Southern Arizona Rescue Association instructor Dave Brown (on hold until further notice).
- First Sunday each month – Monthly conservation trip (seasonally) – caravan/carpool generally leaves the TTT off I-10 at 7:00 am sharp. Please contact SAG to confirm there is space on the permit before you show up. (Conservation trips are currently on hold until further notice)
- Monthly Board Meeting – location date and time TBD – all SAG members welcome to attend and will receive email notice of date/time.